Sunday, September 28, 2008

THE NUTRITION INFORMATION IS ACCURATE

I've never really thought of myself as an author - but I am indelibly bound to a lifelong commitment to nutrition. Not the kind where you prescribe a vitamin pill or herb for every symptom (although I'm not bad at that either) but the type of nutrition where you actually eat for optimal health and longevity.

Anyway, when it came time for me to write LOVE, GRAFTED-IN, I found it impossible not to use the opportunity to provide valid nutrition information and education. I did it so much so that Terri and I changed the first draft of the book and took much of the information on the Anti-inflammatory diet out of the dialogue and included it at the back of the book (along with the Red Lentil Soup recipe).

If you've read the book then you know that one of my primary characters, Maribeth, has debilitating rheumatoid arthritis and learns how to treat her condition with diet alone. Her story and recovery parallel that of my own experiences, although, in response to one of the most often asked questions -- no, I am NOT Maribeth! (She's a lot more fun than I am.)

In HOPE, GRAFTED-IN (the sequel to LOVE, GRAFTED-IN) I continued with several other nutrition themes.

One of my favorite hobbies (such as with the pumpkin pie recipe I posted for you last week) is to take a favorite family recipe, increase its nutritional value and make it acceptable for the anti-inflammatory regimen. My grandmother's pumpkin pie recipe was a renowned prize winner - and even though the new recipe retains the taste and creamy texture - it has come a long way from where it began with a white flour and lard crust and excessive dose of sugar. :o)

Good eating -- good reading!

5 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

You are really getting good with your posts! great reading!

D. Gudger said...

Hi Bobbie! Darcie (Yetter) Gudger here. My mom just finished reading your book, Love, Grafted-In and has already mailed me a copy! I so can't wait to read it.

Anyway, I want to encourage you to check out and join ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers). There are about 1300 members. Many of the names will be familiar to you as a bookseller (Teri Blackstock, Brandilyn Collins, Coleen Coble...)

Their website is www.acfw.com

I've been a member for two years and my writing has grown exponentially since. At the ACFW conference last week in Minneapolis, I had the opportunity to meet with agents and editors and pitch the novel I've been working on for five years.

This past Friday, I received a call from an agent offering representation!

ACFW includes both self-pubbed and traditionally pubbed authors. Online courses and e-mail loops will help you learn the industry from an author's point of view.

As a bookseller, you'd be a valuable resource to the authors. Gifts from Above has been around for a long time and weathered the collapse of the independent bookseller trend.

I've never met a group of mature Christians who are self-sacraficing to help newer and recently published authors. Many of my closest friends are evolving out of this organization.

I'm especially interested in reading your book b/c I am a mother today b/c an 18 year-old girl who was violated chose life. If Angela (that's birthmom's name) gave into peer and family pressure, I wouldn't be a mom.

My blog, www.joyinthelitterbox.blogspot.com starts in Feb 2006, as my husband and I anticipate the coming of our son.

Mom told me you are looking for connections into the writing world and I'd love to stay in contact and help you in anyway.

Also, can't wait to try out that pumpkin pie recipe! We go to a local pumpkin patch each year and I love pumpkin pie!

Elizabeth Klein said...

Speaking of good eating- I had some of that pumpkin pie tonight... so good!! I definitely have some learning to do =)

D. Gudger said...

I've subscribed to you blog via Google Reader :)

Got your book in the mail and can't wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bobbie, I made the lentil soup recipe from your first book and we loved it! Will make it again soon. Iris