Thursday, September 4, 2008

THE BABIES ARE REAL!

The inspiration for LOVE, Grafted-In began over thirty years ago. As part of my postgraduate dietetic education, I was assigned, to a children's hospital to assist with their special feeding needs.

Today, when I close my eyes, the emotional impact of the babies lying in their cribs is still strong. I remember how overwhelmed I felt at the first sight of them. They existed very much as described in the story--many were in their thirties (older than I was a the time) --and yet no bigger than a one-year-old infant.

Many of the children were diagnosed with a 'genetic anamoly' but most were identified within the charts as merely a 'failure to thrive--cause, unknown.'

An aura of loneliness and hopelessness hung over the open wards and I walked up and down the rows gazing down at each one with tears flowing down my face. I wanted so badly to bring some love and comfort into their lives.

But my life was busy and my next day's hospital rotation was in New Jersey, hours away. I never got back--but I also never forgot.

I believe that the greatest blessing I have received since LOVE, Grafted-In was published came in the form of an e-mail from a woman in Maine--who since reading my book was inspired to begin working as a volunteer in a children's hospital. I am awed and humbled to realize she has done what I have yet to do.

Thank you for reading my story. I never dreamed that I would write a book--but from the time God planted the initial seeds of the story He gave me no peace until I completed the project.

6 comments:

BiPolar Wife said...

Hi! Great blog! I used to work for two neonatal intensive care units, not physically in the units, but at home, typing up correspondence from the neonatologists to the pediatricians who would be taking care of the babes once they got to go home. As I typed, each one got a little prayer, sometimes a little "Thank you Lord" and some tears, too. Congrats on the book!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Hello, I'm here as directed from Terri Tiffany's blog. :)

"I never dreamed that I would write a book--but from the time God planted the intial seeds of the story He gave me no peace until I completed the project."

How amazing this quote from your post is to me. If we but listen to that still, small voice, the greatest things can happen. Congratulations and blessings!

Joanne said...

"He gave me no peace until I completed the project." I like that, as though He let you know, relentlessly, this was your purpose! Congrats on your first full blog post!

Vickie said...

Hello I followed the link for your blog from Terri Tiffany's blog.

Congratulations on publishing
your book. Your piece was so touching and written so well I could visual you walking down the open wards.

I pray this is the start of great things for you. Continue to follow God's leading and allow Him to work through you as He will.

Congrats on your blog as well. I am a newbie also :)

Blessings,
Vickie

Terri Tiffany said...

Hey-- are you home yet from Nashville? Hope it was awesome!

BeckyJoie said...

Welcome to Clermont Christian Writers and congrats on starting a blog! Best wishes and I look forward to meeting.

BeckyJoie