Monday, September 15, 2008

THE SCENE FROM THE ABORTION CLINIC

Over thirty years ago, as a young, pregnant and unmarried woman - I walked into that abortion clinic. Like many others I had been counseled by Planned Parenthood and assured that the fetus I carried was not yet a human being. For days I had cried and struggled with my decision - but in the end I chose what I believed to be 'the easy way out.' -- I chose abortion and promised myself that I would go on with my life as before. I would carry the secret of my abortion to my grave.

Throughout the entire procedure I continued to question my decision - still uncertain, I wrestled with my conscience. Before I even thought it possible, the nurse smiled at me and announced, "It's all over."

I was moved into the recovery room that I described in my book - the women I wrote about were real - especially the woman in the corner - today I can still feel her emotional agony and see her tears. I left without ever knowing her name - but she became the defining moment in my life.
Confronted by the reality of her desperation -- I realized for the first time what I had done.

It took me over ten years of anguish before I 'came out of the closet' with the story of my abortion and the years of regret that followed.

I included the scene in my book because it is my hope and prayer that I might convince even one more woman to allow her child to have the gift of life.

It's funny - 'our thoughts are not God's thoughts -- and our plans are not God's plans.'
The secret that I planned to take to my grave is the subject that I am most often asked to speak about. Oh, sure, I speak frequently on subjects of health, nutrition and chiropractic and even travel -- but the one subject that I promised myself that no one would ever know about is the one that God has perhaps allowed me to use the most.

5 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

Very powerful and so glad you shared this! I know it will touch many hearts!

Joanne said...

Very touching story. It seems like one long-ago decision has moved you in greater ways you'd never imagined, using it now to help others.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Very poignant, Bobbie. Thank you so much for speaking about this so openly. Perhaps it's helped you heal over the years.

BiPolar Wife said...

Thank you for sharing. I, too, have a story from an abortion clinic that has a different ending. I'll blog about it soon. My son's birthday is coming up. That may inspire me to do it then.

God loves you and so do I....his forgiveness is everlasting!!!

Stonefox said...

Very powerful. I am glad you are sharing it because undoubtedly it will change hearts and maybe even minds. Thank you for sharing!